2009-06-02

professional introspection & resistance to change

I'm beginning to realize that I am slightly more competitive, ambitious, enthusiastic, conscientious and intelligent than most in the workplace. which also makes me more resented than most by some in the workplace. (it's only taken me, oh, 30-odd years to figure this out, which i suppose also makes me more naive than most.) not realizing my "superiority" in that regard has made me expect others be just as capable as me; naturally, those expectations don't do anything to alleviate the aforementioned resentment.
Now, if only i could figure a way to get the senior members of the section (same age, but who've been there for 8-10 years compared to my 7 months) to recognize that some of the things they have been doing "forever" desperately need to be modernized...

2 comments:

NV said...

If you're competitive/ambitious/enthusiastic/conscientious/intelligent, you should strive to find a workplace where you are one of the *dumbest* people around. Teaches you a lot, you're rarely dissatisfied with the pace of things, and keeps you interested.

mlab said...

@eNVy:
doesn't sticking around my workplace and trying to change it prove that I'm one of the dumbest people around?