2007-01-15

Success

I recently read the "newsmaker of the year" article on Harper in Time Magazine (or was it Maclean's?). Aside from the suspiciously overly pro-conservative slant, the statement that Harper really started shining when he finally learned to trust his instincts struck me.

One or two days later, I read that one of Warren Buffet's words of wisdom is something like "Don't do anything you can't defend; if you don't understand why you're doing somehting, don't be doing it." This struck me too.

One highly rational, the other highly intuitive. Both are shining examples of success. There is no "best" between them, as the choice depends on the context (achieving authority/attaining power, or investing). Whose guidance should I follow? It probably depends on what objectives I seek and what kind of company I will have on that journey: the rich with an unquenchable thirst for money, or the societally ambitious and power hungry? Trouble is, I can't really stand (competition with) either crowd. I've long and often struggled between the two, never quite satisfied with either, and I suspect I am not alone, and this is probably one of the reasons these men have achieved such success. There must be another dimension in which I can exploit my potential; I just have to find it, quick and stick to it!

No comments: