2011-02-17

realization

Probably deafeningly evident to those who know me, but I just moved a Johari muntin over a bit to my advantage tonight.
I am a (slightly obsessive) tweaker. I am driven to know how things work, be it in politics, regulation-making, sewing machines, computers, lighting levels in a room, musical instruments, circulatory system in the eye, etc., just to the point I can do it "right", understand or use it well enough to teach someone else, and/or fix it, to make it that much easier for everyone/me to use and logical for everyone else to figure out.
Which is probably why I get too involved in some things.   By "too involved" I really mean to the annoyance of those who've made a career out of it for asking too many questions (even more when their explanations smell like BS - no offense, Dr. R); to the jealous displeasure of those who've made it their life's mission to understand/do something I pick up even better in just a few hours/weeks (sorry Bree); and to the expense of those who have to redo stuff until it meets what I believe is (should be) the appropriate standard of workmanship (reno contractors, you know who you are).
But when the conquest is over, I tend to seek out other problems to fix/things that need tweaking.
So, how can I best turn this drive for learning and improving into a career:  Detective? Teacher? Researcher?  Troubleshooter? Judge? Supreme benevolent dictator?

1 comment:

NV said...

Find something that you like to do, then do it (within reason). As long as you remember to introspect and channel your drive, you'll do well at what you do.