2007-03-02

Defining Success

I'm not entirely happy with my career status.
I feel like I've been meandering from one job to the next, with ad-hoc jumps based on convenience or flattery (i.e., I take something if somebody thinks I'm good enough for it).
This approach hasn't taken me where I want to be, nor do I like where I expect it to take me.
I want something that I can be more passionate about, since passion captures the imagination, unleashes creativity, and fuels perseverance. (Anybody who watched the first two seasons of The Apprentice might find that sounds familiar.)
The following Einstein quotes indicate that this is something that preoccupied him somewhat also (enough to make these statements, anyway):
  • Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it.
  • Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
  • Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.
  • Love is a better teacher than duty.
  • I'd rather find something that deals with promoting and protecting the environment - jump into the green revolution, so to speak - and make keep ensure this world is one where humans and nature coexist harmoniously, a place where honour, happiness, righteousness, and responsibility are all valued more than the vain pursuit of the American Dream, which has been instant-satisfactionized to winning the lottery by hollow technological progress, an endless barrage of marketing drivel, and political pandering to the rich and poor at the expense of the increasingly frustrated middle class.
    I believe that knowledge and honour can never be eradicated, merely suppressed, even as we descend into the next dark age, blinded by the fantasies of a corrupt system rotting from the inside out like a drug addict on overdose. Like so many authors portrayed themselves in their characters (the Encyclopaedia Galactica, the Jedi, Winston of Oceania, the lovely-filth-collecting Dennis of Monty Python's Holy Grail, Neo, and countless others), I refuse to accept the pre-fabricated just-add-water world that corporate america is promoting, and I do not want to take part in it either.
    Ok, enough armchair-philosophy. Back to the green revolution and the career plan. Where do I start if I want to have the most effective leverage (i.e., positively influence the behaviour of the masses)? What experience do I need to establish the credibility required to eventually make that possible?
    My first priorities are to get some form of "manager" title on my resume and tap into the local environmental sustainability networks (without getting caught-up in the tree-hugging bear-legged hippie clubs content with living off the grid). Like Henry Ford did with the automobile and Honda and Toyota are doing with hybrid cars, I want to make environmental sustainability accessible to all.
    Anything less is mere ego-flattering self-deception.

    No comments: