2006-11-07

priority ranking heuristics

Had to address the misconception that I have "complicated rules" for prioritizing things, because the only priority system being applied by the trustee was "guessing and doing whatever he usually complains about most." That clearly wasn't effective nor to anyone's satisfaction.
So, I tried to explain there aren't any "complicated priority lists" or guessing required; rather, I have a basic approach that assesses the following variables:
  • severity (of consequences and level of effort or inconvenience required to undo or repair)
  • probably of occurrence
  • safety/degree of urgency
  • with consideration for the following:
  • effort involved (quick fixes or "low hanging fruit")
  • if it's not something you don't feel like doing (converse does not apply)
  • and
  • a healthy dose of "while you're at it" (which regularly trumps the law of diminishing returns)
  • That's not overly complicated, is it? Effectively delegating this kind of decision-making seems a whole lot harder (without making the other person feel I think they're wrong).
    Anyway, part of me (the part that is being assimilated by the work-environment bureaucracy and becoming paranoid) feels that by explaining these heuristics, I am effectively identifying the kinds of excuses that I will usually accept, but I think the expected tradeoff in predictability should be to everyone's advantage.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    You have underlings? Lucky! I would say if somebody can't figure out your prioritizatoin scheme, you have to prioritize everything for them.