2007-09-10

first time

I went to my first community association meeting tonight. Been wanting to go for a coupla years now but this was the first time I actually (a) had open schedule and (b) had something of grave enough concern that the local paper and city councilor wrote up on it last weekend (councilor even sent out an email to those on her list).

locals stayed mostly for the grave part: correctional svcs ontario is relocating a parole/probationary something services office just down the street from a "less to-do" area closer in town. my assessment is that us locals feel that our beyond-the-greenbelt non-ottawa-proper-community status has been violated, partly adding to the still simmering amalgamation resentment. Now "they" want to move ex-cons and parolees and other such people under community surveillance (from "in town") out into "our" neighborhood in the middle of two grade schools, several day care centres, a womens' shelter, and its just beyond a little forest running behind some of our backyards. Go figure. "Oh and by the way its opening next month we're just here to advertise our program really, and reassure you that only the high-risk people will be visiting twice a month, with no extra surveillance in the area. Did we mention there was only one death associated with such a program in the past 20 years? You see, nothing to worry about. The two other facilities in Ottawa are in a high-traffic street in an industrial park and at the provincial courthouse. We thought your little bedroom community is perfect for us here in the west end."

Its a major case of NIMBY, and I am just as apprehensive as the other residents who attended tonight; I don't like it one bit.

After the rather tense Q&A period that ensued, everybody except the community association executive and the local councilor cleared the room. I stayed behind, paid my dues, listened to the issues being discussed, and threw in my two cents' worth (though perhaps too forcefully for a newcomer - but hey - there weren't any rules of engagement and I haven't been around these things to know any better).

Having already thrown my regular caution to the wind, I can only hope my credibility didn't go with it. I will only know after the next few meetings. >:) (evil grin)

No comments: