2007-09-22

Save the Lawn Lamps!

The days of the soft white (incandescent) snowball lawn lamps in my earth-friendly, simple-lined, well integrated, 1970s heritage neighborhood are numbered.
The city of Ottawa wants to tear them up and replace them with one of several gaudy and garish "pre-approved" models (majority vote by street) and increase overall illumination levels.
Other than the recommendations affecting Katimavik and Beaverbrook, the draft policy is quite well done.
I do NOT want high-mast high-pressure sodium replacements - the dull orange glow sucks the color out of everything, and, being so much higher, they are often obstructed by trees and cast shadows across peoples' faces. This style clashes severely with Teron and Campeau's visions of building pedestrian- and earth-friendly neighborhoods, which is specifically what attracted me to this area. Brighter lighting will strip the pedestrian character of the streets and encourage drivers to drive even faster.
I've spoken about this to my community association, contacted my city councilor and emailed two city officials on this. I want a change of course. The one-size-fits-all just doesn't.

No comments: