2007-09-30

wtf - a green tax?

I've had been holding back on throwing out various junk electronics until I had a bin worthy of a trip to the local "Take It Back" program participant. I was prepared to pay a "small fee" as posted, which ended up amounting to $30. I dutifully consented, thinking the only alternatives were to keep them in the garage until a museum came begging me for them, or tossing them to landfill so the PCBs and heavy metals could leech back into my drinking water.
Then I looked at the bill.
I was dumbstruck.
So much so that it wasn't until the next day that the disbelief turned to resentment and insult.
At cause were two simple lines:
GST 2.10
PST 2.56

How can any self-respecting government CHARGE TAX on DIVERTING TRASH from public landfills???
I'll chalk this one up against Ivory Tower Ignorance and write a letter to the newspapers and politicians. If it turns out waste-diversion handling fees are already exempt from sales taxes, then you can be sure I'll get that participant educated (by having them dumped from the free advertising TIB brochure).

No comments: